Monday, July 30, 2012

Calvin Richardson



There are some singers/songwriters in this world that are so underrated. Calvin Richardson is one of those. Calvin Richardson was born in Monroe, North Carolina. Calvin started off sing on the gospel circuit. That’s where he met K-Ci and Jo-Jo of Jodeci. Calvin was the lead singer for the R&B group Undacova. In the early 1990s he signed with Tommy Boy Records. He went solo in the mid-1990s and signed with Uptown Records/Universal Records. On August 24, 1999, he released debut album Country Boy. This album sold 100,000 copies despite the sales, he was dropped from Universal. He then signed with Hollywood Records. His son was born at 2:35 PM, that’s how he got the name for his second album 2:35 PM. This album was released on September 16, 2003. The R&B hit "More Than a Woman", featuring a duet with Angie Stone it was a minor hit. This song was on Angie Stone’s 2001 album Mahogany Soul. Angie replaced Calvin Richardson’s vocals with the singer Joe’s. This song was nominated for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal at the 2003 Grammy Awards. I my opinion Calvin’s voice have more of range than Joe’s. The songs I’m really like off this album are “Keep on Pushin”, "You Got Me High", “I've Got To Move”, “Put My Money On You” and “I Wansumo”. Calvin’s released album number three called “When Love Comes”, on May 27, 2008. Calvin moved to Shanachie Records, and was chosen recorded a tribute album to Bobby Womack in 2009. This coincided with Womack being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Calvin’s fourth album “Facts Of Life/The Soul Of Bobby Womack” was nominated for a Grammy. It reminds me of the young Bobby Womack back in the day. Calvin’s redemption of Bobby Womack’s songs is fantastic. Calvin’s album “America’s Most Wanted” was his fourth album. The songs I like are "You're So Amazing", “America’s Most Wanted”, “Fire In the Attic” ”Don't Go Lyrics” and “When Love Comes” I didn’t know that Calvin Richardson co-wrote the song “There Goes My Baby”. The comeback song that Charlie Wilson sings, that is one of my favorites. I like the way Calvin sings it as well. Calvin sure can write some lyrics. I never heard of Calvin Richardson until DJ Michael Ealey of Streetwise Radio, started playing him on the station. Calvin Richardson has an amazing soulful voice. That sounds better than some of these so called superstars. That’s my opinion. I am a Calvin Richardson fan for life. You can listen to Calvin Richardson on Streetwise radio. Also listen to Streetwise Radio on ITunes, live365, MyGen365 and Athena365.

LM

No comments:

Post a Comment